Sunday 4 February 2007

Li Chun, 2007

Today is Li Chun, a significant day in the Chinese almanac. Li Chun means the coming of Spring, the start of a brand new year, although Chinese New Year itself is not celebrated until 18 Feb 2007 with a brand new moon in the sky.

Of course, here in Malaysia, we can hardly tell whether it is spring, summer, autumn or winter. It's just rain or no rain and I think many parts of the country would have had enough of the water.

Anyway, Li Chun is always observed quietly in my family by sticking a new Hock character on the rice container. My aunt was asking me when exactly was Li Chun. She showed me one of those Chinese character calendars. There....I pointed out to her. Li Chun starts at 13.18pm on 4 Feb 2007 and you'd better not stick that character any earlier than that!

But there seems to be a bit of confusion. That Feng Shui guy, Joey Yap, has a book which mentioned Li Chun starting at 1.20pm while on a radio programme, the guest Feng Shui expert added to the confusion by saying Li Chun starts at 1.32pm. Which is correct?

I really don't know. But you know what? If you want to be on the safe side, just do what my aunt did. She only plastered the Hock character on the rice container at 1.40pm. Why the delay, I asked her? Well, she answered, I actually forgot exactly what time it was and by the time I remembered, it was already way past 1.32pm.

Oh well....

No comments: