Saturday 3 March 2007

Happiness is ...

... finding my old The Definitive Penang Food Guide (previously known as SS Quah's Guide to Penang's Hawker Delights) after a long, long search.



I had been quite resigned to admit to the loss but suddenly, while going through an old harddisk that I was planning to thrash soon (a lot of bad sectors), I chanced across a long-forgotten folder. Lo and behold! The file's there! Every single word of it! Happiness!

Of course, the content's quite old and dated, and much of the information is already useless. But it sure was good to see the stuff I was writing about in the early days of the Internet.

But even in 1998 or 1999, I was already rather exposed to the Internet. Way back in 1994 when I wanted to become a member of Jaring, I had to fill a long application form and get one of the senior managers in my old employment to certify that I was a bona fide staff. It took a lot of convincing before my senior manager agreed to sign on the dotted line. So there I was, one of the pioneers of the Internet in Malaysia. My Jaring membership number was 3125. I suspect the last digit was a check digit and if so, I could have been Jaring's 312th Internet user, nationwide.

Alright .... enough of the digression. So what am I to do with my newly rediscovered food guide? Until I decide, here's a jpg image of it (above). You'll have to click on it to view a slightly bigger image. Sorry about the jpg quality but it seems that this is the best I can achieve for this blog.

No comments: