Thursday 7 June 2007

alive alive-o!


I've been listening a great deal to this album in the past few days. My copy is on vinyl but I hear that a double CD version - with extra tracks - was released in April 2007.

Jose Feliciano's Alive Alive-O is a fantastic album that captured his live performance at the London Paladium in Oct 1969. Eventually, it became his third gold-selling record.


The United Kingdom had very strict quarantine laws on bringing animals into the country and for a while, Feliciano was not allowed to bring his guide dog with him. But the authorities relented and this photo of the dog bowing with his master is a gem. BTW, there's this track called No Dogs Allowed which alludes to this incident.


In my opinion, Feliciano has a unique style that defies any categorisation. Maybe, the closest is Latin Jazz but when he plays Malaguena, it's more flamenco than jazz.

Anyway, I thrilled listening to live interpretations of his big hits like Light My Fire, California Dreamin', Rain, Hi-Heel Sneakers, Don't Let The Sun Catch You Crying, Day Tripper and A Day In The Life. Incredibly, this is his one and only live album I know of that's available in the mainstream music market.

Now the question is this: should I buy the double-CD version just to hear the intro to the concert and his rendition of God Save The Queen??

2 comments:

Toto said...

Of course! I did it!


Greetings,
Toto
from spain

Dec H said...

The British authorities quarantined Jose's dog in May 1967 and when he next played in the UK - at that London Palladium show in October, '69 - he actually travelled without her. The photo on the sleeve of this album is actually from a US performance over a year earlier, in 1968.