Friday 24 August 2007

Bob Dylan, The Band and Harry Belafonte

Here are my latest music purchases. Two compact discs bought at Tower Records, MidValley Megamall when I was there last weekend.



I had been very interested in the Before The Flood double-CD from Bob Dylan and The Band for quite some time and I couldn't pass up the chance to add this to my CD collection since Tower Records were having a 20 percent discount sale.

I was listening to this CD yesterday and today, and I was blown away by the atmosphere. Initially, I wondered why Dylan seemed to be shouting and dragging out the last syllable of his sentences, as if The Band were attempting to drown him but later, I realised that he was positively enjoying himself. Anyway, it was his concert and he blardy well could do whatever he wanted. The Band were in fine form too, not only when they were backing Dylan but also when they played some of their most well-received numbers.

I had no hesitation when I picked up The Essential Harry Belafonte from the record store. Surely, this double-CD would justify putting down my money for it. I was already familiar with Belafonte's work from two CDs in my collection - Belafonte At Carnegie Hall and Belafonte Returns To Carnegie Hall. But here was a collection of his best songs, all personally selected by him.

While listening to the CD today in my car, I was also reading the liner notes. Can you imagine my surprise to learn that the very first track in this collection, Midnight Special, actually featured Bob Dylan making his first professional appearance as a musician by playing the harmonica.

Sometimes, you'd think that fate was funny. When I bought the two compact discs, I had no clue that Dylan would be the connection between the two discs. But yes, he actually was.

No comments: