Saturday 15 September 2007

Penang bridge

Nowadays, I dread having to use the Penang Bridge. Everytime I approach the bridge from either the mainland or the island end, it is just like taking a gamble. You'd never know the traffic condition until it is almost too late.

I can safely say that in a typical week - Monday to Friday - I'd face a huge jam along the approach roads. It's especially bad on Friday evenings. Bad, bad, bad, bad, bad, bad.....

You know what? The culprits that contribute to all the traffic jams on the bridge are the inconsiderate drivers. Tail-gaters. Common! You know that the bridge is not a place to speed. Why do you have to tail-gate? Who are affected whenever there is an accident? And who are the parties that are inconvenienced the most? As responsible citizens, each and everyone of us has a part to play to ensure that traffic flows smoothly on the bridge at all times.

Also partly to blame are those truck and bus drivers. I've seen one lorry trying to overtake another lorry on the bridge and they were travelling at 70kph, just short of the 80kph speed limit. And...they were so close together, side by side, that I positively thought an accident would be inevitable. The driver of the overtaken lorry was so alarmed himself that he gave a loud tootle on his horn and pulled back. As for me travelling directly behind them but a very safe distance behind, I was praying very hard that there'd be no accident.

Also mainly to blame is the Public Works minister. You know who I mean, lah. The one with the hair-transplant surgery decades ago to have that ridiculous hair-piece cover his balding pate. At one time not so long ago, I think it was as recent as 2005, he actually said that Penang had no need for a second bridge. Go fuck yourself, hear?

Also partly to blame is Penang Bridge Sdn Bhd. Why is the project to widen the bridge taking such a long time? I've only been seeing piling works. Can you please hasten the project for everyone's good? I don't want to see the bridge finally widened at the same time that the second bridge is completed. And can you please ensure that accidents on the bridge are cleared as soon as they happen?

Yesterday morning, a bus broke down at the 2.6km stage of the Penang Bridge. I think it must have occurred between 9am and 9.30am, because when my wife tried to drive to the island at 9.45am, traffic was already at a standstill. Luckily, she had the presence of mind to divert out to the industrial estate and use the ferry services - also full of cars but at least, moving. She arrived at her destination at 11.45am, about 15 minutes late for her appointment, but at least she was there. When I drove out of my office for lunch at about 12.45pm, I heard on the radio that the jam had still not been cleared. What kind of breakdown was that, that it could snarl up the traffic for long hours? What sort of breakdown service is being provided by the Penang Bridge concessionaire? We, the long-time, suffering commuters of the Penang Bridge, demand answers and immediate solutions.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

http://penangbridge.blogspot.com/2007/09/bus-brokedown-causes-traffic-jam.html

Anonymous said...

sorry...i don't use the bridge that often