Tuesday 16 October 2007

eneloop


These are the eneloop NiMh rechargeable batteries (manufactured by Sanyo) that I've just purchased from someone through eBay Malaysia. I had been interested in these batteries for quite a while because it was claimed to be much superior than the normal rechargeables that you would normally find in the department stores or photography shops.

eneloop is touted as the battery for the 21st Century but how superior is eneloop? Consider these two reasons:
  • Normal rechargeable batteries lose the stored energy rather fast. Not eneloop. It is claimed that charged eneloop batteries are still at a 86% capacity even if you do not use them for a year.
  • Normal rechargeable batteries have to be charged after purchase before they can be used. Not eneloop. You can use them straight out of their blister packs.
So these are my eight batteries. Four of them are already in my digital camera and I'm pleasantly surprised that they have still allowed me to continue shooting after two days of consistent use. My normal rechargeable batteries would have indicated the low battery warning signal by now.

These batteries cost me RM120 - not cheap - but if they can be charged 1,000 times as claimed, I really think that it is money well worth spending because I use my camera a lot. Just consider ... if I were to charge a set of four batteries only once a week, 1,000 charges will last me 1,000 weeks or 19 years before I need to throw them away. I'd recommend them to you too.

Note: eneloop batteries are practically impossible to find in Penang. I went round to various shopping malls and some photography shops to enquire but all I got back were blank stares. But I know for sure that the Best Denki outlet at the Suria KLCC does sell eneloop as well as the Hybrio alternatives (manufacturer is Uniross). A normal NiMh charger is good enough but I've even seen a USB charger on sale there.

No comments: