Tuesday 9 October 2007

Yut Kee kopitiam

I can count the number of times that I have been to the Yut Kee kopitiam (coffee shop) in Campbell Road (Jalan Dang Wangi) with the fingers on one hand. Yes, exactly four, no more and no less! Of course, it's because I'm staying in Penang and Yut Kee is in Kuala Lumpur.

But I can clearly remember the memorable food and ambience in this traditional coffee shop which has been in existence for almost 80 years now.


My most recent visit to this kopitiam was just last Friday when I was at the JobStreet office. Lunchtime beckoned and I went to Yut Kee with my colleague, Simon.

As usual, the place was jam packed with people. And there were even more people waiting patiently along the five-foot way. One of my friends, Eric Chong, had always been full of praises for this eatery. You must try the roti babi the next time you are there, he insisted. It's their signature dish. But actually, all their dishes are signature dishes. The chicken chop, the lamb chop, the toasted bread, the fried rice, the butter cake ... even the hot or cold cup of coffee. All are equally popular with their clients - mainly office workers from around the area or, like in the case of Eric, from quite a distance away.

Anyway, we had to be patient while waiting for some other people to vacate their seats. Yut Kee's clearing system is so very efficient that there is no way that you can have a whole table to yourself if there are less than five of you in a group. Last Friday, Simon and I had to share the table with three others.

And so far, I've tried the chicken chop, french toast, roti babi and their traditional coffee. You can be sure I'll be trying more stuff if I ever get the opportunity to be there again.

By good luck, I found myself sitting next to their antique radio on the window sill. I have been eyeing this radio from afar ever since I spotted it in a previous visit but it was only now that I managed to touch it. Wow, I've just made it sound like a BIG thing, to be able to touch this radio! But it's no big deal, really. The radio is just a decorative item in the shop now. It hasn't been working for decades.

Overhead, the ceiling fan worked busily to dissipate all the hot air from the customers. Yut Kee should have air-conditioned the place but I suppose it will make the kopitiam lose its atmosphere.

Here are some pictures taken of the interior, courtesy of both Eric and Simon:



No comments: