Thursday 22 November 2007

Out, damn spot, out!

Did you watch the England-Croatia match of the Euro 2008 qualifying round? I did not and what a perfectly good decision I made. At my age, the beauty sleep I get is worth more than anything showing on the boob tube.

But I did surf over to the football websites this morning to find out what happened at 4am this morning. England's out, crocked 2-3 on home turf by a hard-working Croatian team.

England needed just one point from the game and they mucked it all up. They even allowed Croatia the luxury of a 2-0 lead by the interval and had to claw themselves back to level at 2-2. Then, after achieving this, complacency stepped in and they played as if they were already qualified and could afford to step down a gear, and allowed their opponents to slip in their third goal.

What can you expect from an under-performing side that's full of prima donnas brimming with their own self-importance?

I'll be glad to see the backs of Lampard, Gerrard, Cole and even Terry (even though he did not feature in this game) after this debacle. If they have their dignities, they should do the right thing and quit the England team. But I won't be so harsh on old Becks...yet. Despite all you may say about him, he can still contribute. Yes, if I'm the new England manager, I'll grant him the honour of earning his 100th cap.

No comments: