Thursday 21 February 2008

Chap Goh Meh: delicious pungat

I can't believe that 15 days have passed by so quickly. It's already the 15th day of the Chinese New Year - Chap Goh Meh. When I came down for breakfast this morning, I found this bowl of hot pungat waiting for me on the kitchen table. It's a nyonya delicacy that my aunt had cooked earlier in the morning. Yummy!


Remember the bananas, yam and tubers that my family had bought just a week ago?

Here they are, cooked and waiting to be turned into the pungat: three types of steamed potatoes to give the pungat the deep purple, orange and yellow colours, steamed yam and boiled bananas. Note: All are natural colours. There's absolutely nothing artificial about the purple, orange and yellow.

They all went into the pot together with the pressed coconut milk and hey, presto! The pungat's ready!

PS. Pungat also tastes fabulous when kept in the refrigerator.

No comments: