Thursday 24 April 2008

Alvin, Theodore and Simon

Friends were asking me what I meant when I mentioned Alvin, Theodore and Simon in my earlier post, Sabah, land below the wind. Who's Alvin? And who's Theodore and Simon?

Well, they're the names I gave to these squirrels that I saw around the Layang Layang Hut on the way to Laban Rata. There are plenty of squirrels up the mountain but it is rather hard to take photos of them because they are quick. The only way to stop them from darting everywhere if to give them food to eat. Then they'll pause sufficiently long enough for you.

If you are an old timer like me, you'll be familiar with these stars of this vinyl record. That's where I got the inspiration to name the squirrels of Mount Kinabalu as Alvin, Theodore and Simon:




By the way, if you are into squirrels or chipmunks, here's a completely irrelevant song about them. It's a parody of The Christmas Song (Chestnuts Roasting On An Open Fire) by Nat King Cole. Don't feel outraged and behave like a prickhead, okay? It's only a song...

No comments: