Friday 23 May 2008

Ryan Giggs' milestones at Manchester United

I find it rather fitting that Ryan Giggs should celebrate his 758th club appearance by scoring the club's final goal in their final game of the English Premier League against Wigan. It was also fitting that he celebrated his 759th appearance by scoring the final penalty in the Champions League final against Chelsea.

What appearing in tonight's game proved is that I was right to remain at United throughout my career. When I first came through, Serie A was the place to be and the best players went there. Now all the great players are playing in England. Winning the Champions League is the biggest achievement of my career along with my United debut, my Wales debut and captaining my country. Back in 1999 when I was 26 I just assumed I would be involved in a few more finals again. But at 34, you know deep down that the chance is slipping away. But I want nights like this again. We deserved it, we've been the best team."

Landmarks:

One of just two players to score in every Premier League season;
Six times included in the Professional Footballers Association team of the year;
Played 12 consecutive seasons in the Champions League (record);
Took 15 seconds to score United's fastest Premiership goal against Southampton in Nov 1995;
17 years old when he made his United debut at home to Everton in Mar 1991;
Most decorated player in English football with 20 major honours;
Scored 26 European Cup goals all for United;
759 club appearances, surpassing Bobby Charlton's 35-year record.



No comments: