Saturday 21 June 2008

Gurney Drive, Penang

If you have a camera with a telephoto zoom set at its longest, you can pull in photos such as this. I took this from Gurney Drive today as I looked towards the city. Impressive, huh? The high-rise buildings give the promenade such as a majestic view. Makes you proud that Penang has become so developed. It's a fine place to stay. Still a lot of greenery lining the coastal road.


However, if your camera's zoom lens is set at its widest, I suppose you'll be taking this shot instead. I'm so ashamed that Gurney Drive is no longer what it used to be. When I was small, the sand on the beach was so clean and fine that my family would come here to frolick in the waves, build sand castles and dig the sand to search for the siput babi. Now that I'm not-so-small any more, I'm so disgusted that development in Tanjung Tokong has altered the currents around Penang's shores and caused what's left of the beach at Gurney Drive to be one big, dirty area.


One more photo. This time, I'm looking the other way in the direction of Tanjung Tokong. So this is the Gurney Drive "beach". It won't disappear soon. Our legacy to our future generations.

2 comments:

TZ said...

Fortunately the camera couldn't capture smell, otherwise you will be even sad... the costal line near Gurney Plaza also smell... Yuck! I still remember one evening i was trying to take picture near the costal, the smell was bad :-(

Hopefully, MPPP can clean up the beach ...

SS Quah said...

TZ, no smell when I took the photos. Recovered? Any more trips to Penang before you say "ta ta"?