Friday 18 July 2008

Format, format, format

The dodgy C: Drive on my home desktop computer finally gave up the ghost yesterday evening. Continuous attempts to reboot it failed. The computer just hanged everytime I keyed in my password. Even booting into Safe Mode to do a System Restore brought no relief.

In the end, I decided to reformat and reinstal my Windows XP. I couldn't try Vista, though, because my desktop is rather dated and there's not enough processing power. But it was a good thing that I had to reinstal the operating system. Finally, I can get rid of some old baggage in my harddisk. Good thing that I had recognised my computer's dodginess months earlier and had backed up all my stuff.

The only problem was that I have to reinstal all my essential programs. It's going to take time and it's going to take up most of this weekend to tweak them to my satisfaction.

P.S. So far, I've only managed to instal an anti-everything virus protector and get my soundcard to work. At least, that's two of the most essential tasks done. More to come...

No comments: