Monday 22 September 2008

More landslips at BM Hill

Well, do you remember this photo that I took earlier this month, don't you? It was snapped on 7 Sep 2008, the day after the skies opened above Penang and drenched the whole state. There was widespread flooding on the island and the mainland. I reported landslips on the tar road at BM Hill. The landslips were cleared on the next day because the road was the only access to the telecommunication towers at the hill-top.

Sunday midday, it rained again. Though it wasn't as strong or prolonged, I still had concern that it would affect the hill because damage had already been done to the weakened slopes.

True enough, my wife and I found that there was more earth that gave way at the same spot as the earlier landslip although thankfully, it was not as severe as before. Nevertheless, it remains a cause for concern.


On the way to the 2020 rest area, I counted at least six places where landslips had happened. It didn't matter whether they were minor or major; the fact that they happened meant that we have to start thinking more seriously about our environment. I wouldn't want our hills to be washed down to the sea.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

YB Chong Eng will be alerted