Saturday 23 May 2009

Google maps Malaysia

Some time ago, I heard that Google had launched Google Maps Malaysia. I've been curious to see how Google Maps could show me how to get from Spot A to Spot B around Malaysia. I've been playing around with this tool and my impression is that some of the suggested routes could be improved. There were better alternatives in many cases. But by and large, good enough.

Here's one example. I asked Google Maps to plan a route from my housing area in Bukit Mertajam to one of the shopping malls in Province Wellesley, the Sunway Carnival Mall.


Cool. It showed the driving distance, 15.9km, and the estimated time to arrive at the destination, 28 minutes. My minor disagreement with the route is that Google Maps did not consider the route along Jalan Baru and the North-South Expressway. In my opinion, that would have been an easier route as it avoids the slow traffic along Jalan Permatang Pauh. Perhaps it just wanted to show the shortest distance between the two points with disregard to traffic conditions.

2 comments:

longkin said...

I noticed that the map also show the wrong name of Jalan Baru. It is shown as Jalan Besar.

Giorgio said...

Good new. I'll visit Google Map Malaysia.
I've visited your blog and I've seen your interesting old coins collection.

Regards