Tuesday 27 October 2009

Experimentation

I called it an experiment but my wife called it a skill for the future. I wonder what she meant.

Anyway, I've been meaning to make some garlic bread for quite some time but never seemed able to find the right type of bread until the weekend. So Sunday turned out to be the best opportunity for me with all the ingredients ready: eight cloves of garlic, about 100g of butter, a dash of Italian herbs, mozarella cheese and olive oil. Not forgetting a roll of baguette bread from the supermarket.


To be frank, this was precisely an experiment only. I wouldn't know whether it would turn out fine or not. The wife chopped up the garlic for me and I mixed it up with the butter and herbs until I got a gooey mess. The baguette was cut into two halves and then sliced up, making sure that I did not slice them through to the bottom.


Prying open the slices, I dripped olive oil onto the bread and then spread generous dollops of garlic butter between the slices. Finally, the cheese went between the slices too.


The prepared garlic bread was firmly wrapped with aluminium foil and popped into an oven preheated to about 200 Celsius for 15 minutes. Ding, ding, and what I got was soft, steaming hot garlic bread with gorgeously melted butter.


For the optional dip, it's just a mixture of olive oil, balsamic vinegar and a dash of Italian herbs again. Family's verdict: two thumbs up and are we having it again next week? No, I'll wait for my daughter to return before trying again.

No comments: