Sunday 9 January 2011

Coincidence

Sometimes, life is funny. It's so full of coincidences. There I was, sitting in a cafe along Armenian Street in George Town with some people and suddenly, I happened to turn around to see a banner inviting people to an art exhibition right upstairs from where I was. What caught my attention was a name, a very peculiar name for a Chinese, one with a double-barrelled surname. That by itself wouldn't surprise me, a lot of people had double-barrelled surname, like AuYeong or SeTo. What surprised me, however, was that it was the name of one of my long-lost relatives, one whom I haven't met for close to 30 years, or even longer. And feeling all intrigued, I rushed upstairs to look at his art work. Among all the pieces there, he had two paintings on display. I didn't expect him to be there and indeed, he wasn't. I texted him. He was in KL, at another art show. But he would be back. And we promised to meet up the next time I am on the island.

No comments: