Wednesday 31 August 2011

Sasanarakkha Buddhist Sanctuary

I plan to visit the Sasanarakkha Buddhist Sanctuary in Taiping one of these days. Located in the foothills of Maxwell Hill (or Bukit Larut as it is known nowadays), I hear that the SBS is a pretty nice place to get away from the maddening crowd. The spiritual director is the Penang-born Venerable Aggacitta who may be about the same age as me, but that's beside the point. What's more important is that he is one of the better known Theradavin monks in the country.


Anyway, I haven't been to the SBS before and I thought that I should go into their website and get some information. But what a pain it was to locate the information I wanted. Firstly, there wasn't a location map. Then, it took me about half an hour to find out how to contact their office in downtown Taiping. All hidden within the various layers of webpages. Not much of a usability there.

Luckily, I did finally get what I wanted. Apparently, the trek to the sanctuary would require someone to drive us up and down in their 4WD vehicle. An ordinary car like my Avanza would not be able to climb the slope. So, I would have to arrange for transportation with their downtown office. Maybe, my family will visit the SBS at the end of the month and the helpful volunteer at the other end of the telephone line, a Sister Eugine, told me to call the office again at 05.8411198 when my plans are confirmed.

I really want to visit the place....

PS. I have better write it down here for my easy reference that the SBS office in downtown Taiping is located at 28-30 (first floor) Jalan Medan Taiping 4, 34000 Taiping. 

 

No comments: