Sunday 16 October 2011

Four heritage sites in George Town

I came home yesterday thoroughly spent, having endured more than five hours under the blazing sun with my old classmate, Siang Jin. We were walking up and down the so-called Street of Harmony in the core heritage zone of George Town. He was taking photographs of the heritage sites while I was telling him where to aim his camera.

You see, I am mighty glad that my collaborative work with him is now almost at any end. It was an assignment that began in December last year, which means that almost 10 months have been spent on it. Ten months, 10 long months.

I had spent all this time to talk with people, research for information from long-forgotten books and documents, and spent hours piecing together new documentations for 10 heritage sites in this small area. Most of the work was completed between December and February. And now, all that remained was the photography work. This would be a job that required my friend to come up from Kuala Lumpur. After all, it was his initiative that the assignment ever got off the ground at all. Now he was here to finish it up.

Just like to share a few of the pictures that I snapped with my little Panasonic camera.


This is, of course, the interior of the Church of St George the Martyr in Farquhar Street. This is a perspective that's not normally seen. We asked permission to go up the staircase to the floor above the main entrance.


I think most people would be too familiar with the richness of the Khoo Kongsi's main building in Cannon Square by now. Therefore, I thought that this picture of one of their stone bamboo windows would make a nice change.


Elaborate carvings on the pillars that adorned the Kapitan Keling Mosque in Pitt Street. During one of the last restoration projects for the mosque, the carvings were uncovered after the workers had peeled away the multi-layers of old paint.


Our last stop at the Kuan Yin Temple in Pitt Street. It coincided with Kuan Yin's birthday itself, so the temple was full of people and smoke. These are just some of the big joss-sticks in the front courtyard of the temple.

No comments: