Tuesday 19 June 2012

Brandenburg Concertos on period instruments

I had been waiting 15 days for this package and it arrived through the post today. The sounding of the horn by the Pos Malaysia's deliveryman brought me running downstairs. And once it was in my hands, I lost no time in ripping it open to unveil my latest acquisitions through ebay: two vinyl records of Trevor Pinnock's recording of the six Brandenburg Concertos played on period instruments.

The record surfaces looked clean enough but nevertheless, I had to put through my regular wash process before I attempted to play them.

So here they are, on my turntable. I've played through all four sides of the two records and I must say that it was an absolutely heavenly sound. The faintest touch of the harpsichord came through clearly. There were almost no pop or crackle but I would be untruthful if I were to say that there was absolutely none. There were, but they were hardly noticeable. That's the quality of  the near-mint records I bought.

Side One: Concerto No. 1 BWV 1046 in F major
Side Two: Concerto No. 2 BWV 1047 in F major, Concerto No. 3 BWV 1048 in G major 

Side One: Concerto No. 5 BWV 1050 in D major
Side Two: Concerto No, 4 BWV 1049 in G major, Concerto No. 6 BWV 1051 in B flat major

No comments: