Saturday 8 December 2012

The Dandy Book 1966


LONDON, Dec 5 — Britain’s longest-running comic The Dandy produced its final print edition on its 75th anniversary on Tuesday and will relaunch as a purely online publication. 

In its 1950s heyday, The Dandy, featuring Desperate Dan, Bananaman and Korky the Cat, sold two million copies a week, but circulation has dwindled and is now around 8,000.


I must admit that when I read the above brief news item from AFP a few days ago, it brought a lump to my throat. The early 1960s was a time when the Dandy and Beano comics were my early exposure to life - albeit an unrealistic life - outside the cocoon of my home.

My father ensured that the two comics would be delivered to the house every week by the Indian newsagent stall that operated on Dato Kramat Road, opposite from the Kuantan Road junction.

Unfortunately, all my weekly Dandy and Beano comics have been lost because by 1966, I had completely outgrown them. The only evidence I have left from that era is this hardcover The Dandy Book 1966.





No comments: