Saturday 2 February 2013

Political bribery in the name of Chinese New Year


Psy, do you realise that desperate people are making use of you - personally - in an attempt to cover up their own political inadequacies??


So this afternoon, I heard from various sources (for instance, here, here, here and here) that the South Korean entertainer, Psy, is coming to Penang on the second day of the Chinese New Year to reprise his Oppa Gangnam Style dance craze.

Psy is being brought in by the Penang Barisan Nasional which is hoping to attract the people of the state back to their fold for the next General Elections that are expected to be called very, very soon.

The way I see it, this is a very desperate measure by the Barisan Nasional but then, this are desperate times for them already. But do they really believe that the people in Penang can be bribed easily by this very shallow move? Do they? I am hardly impressed by this blatant attempt at bribing. And what's more, with our own taxpayers' money! [An update: word is now being bandied about that Psy will be paid an astronomical USD1 million to turn up! Where is the money coming from? Who is footing the bill?] What an insult to our intelligence! The Barisan Nasional can certainly do better by being more sincere.

By the way, if I were staying on the island, I would be trying my darnedest to attend the Barisan Nasional CNY open house on 11 Feb 2013 but dressed in my best Bersih tee-shirt. I would want to make my biggest statement to people like Najib Razak and Teng Chang Yeow.





No comments: