Saturday 26 July 2014

My mum's minced pork "bak" steak


A fortnight after cooking my second plate of chicken steak, I dived head-on into my kitchen again yesterday to attempt cooking from memory my mother's minced pork steak, which we would usually call bak steak around the house. Let me boast a bit: it was an unqualified success. And I'm happy with my effort. Wife's happy, children are happy, what more can I want? You can't see me, but I am clicking my heels.

I was at the market yesterday morning to buy about four ringgit's worth of minced pork from my favourite butcher. Came home, seasoned it with grounded white pepper, salt and a bit of light soya sauce, mixed in a few teaspoons of corn starch and then left the meat in the refrigerator for a few hours. In the meantime, I sliced up two potatoes and two big onions.

Coming cooking time, I shaped the season minced pork into small meat patties and fried them in hot oil, making sure they turned golden brown. I also did the same with the sliced potatoes: fried them in the same oil. After removing the excess oil from the wok, I threw in the sliced onions, stirred it around for some two or three minutes and added back the fried potato slices. Then I poured in about 200ml of water, added in the pork patties, salt to taste and left everything simmer for about five to 10 minutes. Before I removed the bak steak from the wok, I added in a bit of dissolved corn starch in order to thicken the gravy. And that's all, quite simple, right? My dear mum's bak steak!




No comments: