Wednesday 1 February 2017

High School Bukit Mertajam's 90th anniversary dinner


I had the opportunity last month to attend the 90th anniversary dinner of the High School Bukit Mertajam, of which my wife happened to be an Old Girl of this school. When we first got wind of the dinner - that would be at the end of November - she had asked some of her friends whether or not they'd be interested to attend but then received no reply at all from any of them! She was disappointed and she told me that she wouldn't want to go either as a result. I had also approached one or two people whom I knew to be from the High School but they were not interested too.

I too was disappointed. You would think that their old school days would hold many pleasant memories for them; memories that would make them want to come back and enjoy the company of their old friends. Or were they waiting for their school's 100th anniversary to roll along before they join in the fun? I hope not. That would be in 10 years' time. Are you prepared to wait 10 years? You'll be 10 years older and no telling whether you'll still be free then. Or healthy then. No, don't wait. The time for your reunion is now.

I had already underwent that same ritual, having immersed myself fully when my old school, Penang Free School, celebrated her Bicentenary last October. I know how it feels to meet all your old school mates again. I would call on everyone to celebrate and meet your own school pals whenever you can. Or even if you think that you can't, please make time for it so that you can. You won't regret the decision!

Anyway, my wife eventually did go to the anniversary dinner. One of her friends came back from Kota Kinabalu and that was good enough a reason for her to buy a ticket (two tickets actually, because I went along too) at the very last minute. We even went out of our way to pick up one of her old, retired teachers along the way. My wife was happy and excited to have renewed her acquaintance and rebuilt her friendship with several people there and as for me, I was happy enough that she was happily enjoying herself.


No comments: