Sunday 5 February 2017

Ray Peterson: Missing you


The first time that I had ever heard of Ray Peterson was on Skeeter Davis' album called Here's The Answer. Unlike other records, Davis' album consisted of her singing answers to six original country songs. Thus, Peterson's song, Tell Laura I Love Her was answered with Davis' Tell Tommy I Miss Him. This album seemed to be very popular here because I've seen so many copies of it in second-hand record stores.

Peterson had at least two versions of this song and I particularly liked the version that had appeared in the Davis album. Recently when I listened to the version in Peterson's album, Missing You, which was supposed to be a collection of his greatest hits, I felt impassive. The song failed to register the same feeling of pathos and poignancy. It was as if it was sung by a different person.

Several years ago, I came across a YouTube video of Peterson singing The Wonder of You. I know that the song was made popular by none other by Elvis Presley but to hear it delivered by Peterson was to see the song in a different light. It was all tender and nostalgic. The Wonder of You is also featured in Missing You.


Side One: Corinna Corinna, Ya ya, Hey little one, Hooked on a feeling, Tell Laura I love her, Love the understanding way
Side Two: Goodnight my love pleasant dreams, The wonder of you, Me myself and I, Funny how time slips away, I can't help it (if I'm still in love with you), Missing you


No comments: